Volunteer Spotlight - Sandra Prince


"I moved to Winnipeg with my husband in 2005, and since 2009, as a semi-retired Nurse I have been working casually as a TB nurse for First Nations and Inuit Health Branch (FNIHB). In my second position, I work at flu vaccines clinics.

I love being active and decided to become a MIPS volunteer in 2019. As a MIPS volunteer, I have been trained to provide information at information booths and how to give virtual MIPS presentations. I have volunteered at various booths in my time, and I am looking forward to doing my first virtual presentation. When I work in Northern Manitoba on the reserves, I spread the word about MIPS by handing out MIPS’ pamphlets and posters. I also encourage patients to bring the following with them to their doctor’s appointments: 1) an advocate, 2) a written copy of their health history, and 3) a current list of their medications. I emphasize that they should not be afraid to ask questions, as it is their health, and they have the right to know. For example, ask, “When will my test be done?” If you don’t speak up, you may be lost in the healthcare system.

If you are frustrated with the healthcare system, come and volunteer for MIPS so that together, we can help people out."


Written by Lisa Albensi, edited by Sandra Prince

Comments