Volunteer Spotlight - Naomi Komolafe



"Prior to moving to Canada in 2015, I worked in the field of infectious disease research. I have a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Microbiology and a Master of Life Science’s degree. Upon my arrival in Canada, I also took a course in Infection Prevention and Control in Ontario. We currently live in the Interlake area of Manitoba where I work on a casual basis in patient registration at one of the local hospitals.

While looking online for volunteer opportunities, I found the MIPS website. After reading the goals and mission statement, I realized that MIPS shares the same passion about public health, as infection prevention and control is one type of patient safety. I have been volunteering for MIPS since 2018, giving presentations to the public, and volunteering at information booths. What I love most about the information booths is sharing the importance of having a patient advocate. I believe that everyone needs to know how to keep themselves safe, how to speak up and ask questions.

If you care about other people, are empathetic, and conversational, then being a MIPS volunteer would be a good fit. You can share potentially life-saving messages, and volunteering is rewarding."

 
Written by Lisa Albensi, edited by  Naomi Komolafe



Comments