Volunteer Spotlight - Gale Schultz

 

"I worked as a registered nurse for 40 years, with the last 10 years spent in Infection Prevention and Control specializing in Medical Device Reprocessing (MDR). MDR ensures that the medical and surgical tools that clinicians use are safe to use on patients. I came out of retirement in May 2020 to do a consulting contract with Shared Health on N95 mask reprocessing. I have also worked casually as an infection prevention and control content expert for various companies and worked with First Nations foot care nurses in Manitoba. 

In 2017, I was awarded MIPS’s Patient Safety Champion Award. After retirement, I decided to volunteer with MIPS, as I want to help MIPS spread the word of the importance of having a patient advocate. I am grateful that I was able to be an advocate for my late husband during his healthcare journey, and that I can advocate for my parents. I enjoy working the MIPS information booths at wellness fairs. I love meeting the public, telling them what MIPS is all about, and sharing information about patient safety, medication safety, and patient advocacy. I am looking forward to doing virtual and in person presentations in the future for MIPS."


Written by Lisa Albensi, edited by Gale Schultz

Comments