"Prior to retiring in 2016, I worked as a Medical laboratory technologist for 38 years, with 35 years spent in microbiology at CADHAM Provincial Laboratory. I feel that the mindset in a public health lab is focused on the larger population, as they are looking for patterns in disease that may affect the public. While working in the lab, although I did not see patients in person, I felt that they were always “there” so to speak, as the work that I did involved patients.
Upon retirement, I started looking volunteer opportunities and noticed a weblink to MIPS on the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Manitoba website, and I applied to volunteer that Fall. I was looking forward to serving the public as a MIPS volunteer, and wanted more interaction with patients than what I was used to doing when I worked in the laboratory.
My work as a MIPS volunteer has included sharing resources and education at booths and presentations, as well as providing feedback on projects and sharing my own story with healthcare students. I encourage others to apply to be a MIPS volunteer if they care about patient safety, especially about self-advocacy, and want to be involved with the public."
Written by Lisa Albensi, edited by Deb Riel

Comments
Post a Comment